Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PS4 Supported Media Files
Since I was hanging out with my friend and he didn't have Netflix or anything Good and his internet connection sucks ass so streaming content was out of the question I decided to bring my 8GB flash drive with a few movies but then I thought what file formats are supported.

I remember the ps3 was only able to play the standard video containers like mp4 ,m4v and so on. And converting would take to long for a high quality movie at 1080p and that was the point in downloading it is to enjoy it in all of it's glory.

And you all that have a next gen console knows they don't ship the console at 100% functionality, your like wait what do you mean " I mean as soon as you set it up and connect it the the internet you have to up date it".

Also you have do download the media player app which is standard on the ps3 and even the Xbox 360 and One.

Since mkv is the standard container these days because it has more use than the standard mp4 by allowing multiple audio and subtitle tracks. I decided to look up and post what the ps4 can play if people were wondering what it can and can't play.

If you use the PS4 for playing videos from a USB or a external HDD or even a media server make sure the app is updated.

Use (Media Player) to enjoy videos, photos, and music saved on USB storage devices and media servers.
You can play these types of files:

Videos

When using a USB storage device, your video files need to be in a folder for your PS4™ system to recognize them.
You can view video recorded by a 360-degree omnidirectional camera (in equirectangular video format) on your PS VR. Press the OPTIONS button, and then select [VR Mode].

MKV
Video: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level 4.2
Audio: MP3, AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital)
AVI
Video: MPEG4 ASP, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level 4.2
Audio: MP3, AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital)
MP4
Video: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level 4.2, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level 5.2 (PlayStation®4 Pro only)
Audio: AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital), LPCM
MPEG-2 PS
Video: MPEG2 Visual
Audio: MP2 (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2), MP3, AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital), LPCM
MPEG-2 TS
Video: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level 4.2, MPEG2 Visual
Audio: MP2 (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2), AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital)
AVCHD (.m2ts, .mts)
XAVC S™ (.mp4)

Music

When using a USB storage device, your music files need to be in a folder named "Music" for your PS4™ system to recognize them.
Using DSEE HX™, you can listen to certain audio files (such as MP3) in high-resolution audio. When playing background music, participating in a party, or using the text-to-speech feature, however, audio output is in 48 kHz.

FLAC
MP3
AAC (M4A)
FAT and exFAT formatted USB storage devices are supported.
Be sure to fully insert the USB storage device into the USB port. Some devices are not compatible due to shape or design.
Depending on the state of the application or the system, playback might not be possible.
It might not be possible to play some files due to their data type or file size.
Some types of content distributed over the Internet and by other means have playback restrictions. For details, contact the content provider.
Depending on the media server, you might not be able to play certain types of files or use some functions during playback.
Thanks for the info !
Redbear Wrote:Thanks for the info !

No problem.
See, what I do know with the PS4, u can't download for shit, Sony told that away.
But this, I never heard of, u need a USB storage device to watch videos
[Image: XSevenK.png]
Kwa Wrote:See, what I do know with the PS4, u can't download for shit, Sony told that away.
But this, I never heard of, u need a USB storage device to watch videos

If I had to guess why Sony made it so where you cant locally download file to the PS4 HDD is because of the massive screw they made with ps3. The ps3 browser allowed people to download free games music movies. That's why the choose to remove local downloads on the ps4.

You don't need a USB to watch say a DVD or Blu-ray.

That function is for people that have media severs to play back their collection in the best possible way. Like if I was to bring my external hard drive or a USB to a friends house I would be able to watch a movie or TV or anime in 100% Blu-ray playback. Which is 1920X1080P with FLAC audio.

Say I wanted to watch One Punch Man Blu-ray.

On the ps3 I wouldn't be able to watch it because it has multiple audio tracks and subtitle tracks. And the ps3 doesn't support the Blu-ray FLAC audio. So that means I would have to spend a few days converting 18 Episodes just to watch it at my friends house but that would take days.

But with the ps4 I can play the original file with FLAC audio and multiple subtitle tracks without converting. And all of that can be done with a external hard drive or a USB with enough space to hold those 18 episodes because each episode is around 1.9GB but I can be more or less so times that by 18 would be about 35GB.

Affiliated Groups: Beatrice, SallySubs, Kametsu
File Size: ~1.9 GB @ 1080p (1920x1080)
File Extension: .mkv, h264 10-bit [Beatrice]

1080p
Audio Track 1 (Default): English 2ch FLAC
Audio Track 2: Japanese 2ch FLAC
Subtitle Track 1 (Default): English Signs & Songs (.ASS)
Subtitle Track 2: English Dialogue [SallySubs] (.ASS)
Hmmm, seems to me, it's simple for ps4, as long as u.have a flash drive or something, i'm new a stuff like this, i always been downloading for a couple of years, until ps4, u gotta pay for this, pay for that, too much extra shit...
Jason xXx Wrote:If I had to guess why Sony made it so where you cant locally download file to the PS4 HDD is because of the massive screw they made with ps3. The ps3 browser allowed people to download free games music movies. That's why the choose to remove local downloads on the ps4.

I believe that very much too.
You cannot even save images to the PS4 HDD either.
That's why i like my PS3 & i'm trying to keep it as long as possible.
[Image: j5VZJ0l.jpg]
Screw realism.
Screw being practical.
Screw representation.
Screw Woke/PC BS.

When Ya got the tools, ya got the talent, & the freedom.
The reason one draws stuff like this is because they can.
Also thank you for the information.
This really helps alot for those of us that doesn't know so we can have an understanding on just a little more of exactly what uploaders do when providing links & filling requests.

I've always wondered why i see more MKV download links on various sites then MP4.

I think the more information or a sense of what it takes to provide links will give all of us a better perspective & better appreciation for what's done here, a better appreciation for sites like this, as well as being more grateful, thankful, respectful for everything that's done to put things like this together & more respectful towards those doing the work & maybe just a little understanding to those that aren't familiar with how it's all done too.
Screw realism.
Screw being practical.
Screw representation.
Screw Woke/PC BS.

VSW Wrote:Also thank you for the information.
This really helps alot for those of us that doesn't know so we can have an understanding on just a little more of exactly what uploaders do when providing links & filling requests.

No problem.

VSW Wrote:I've always wondered why i see more MKV download links on various sites then MP4.
I wondered the same thing years ago when I read a article about piracy groups switching from mp4 to MKV. At the time I didn't understand the importance of the switch. Until I did some looking around. The reason for the switch is fairly simple in a way. Why be stuck with a simple mp4 with a single audio track and hard-coded subs. When MKV can hold multiples of both audio and subtitle tracks.
Example If I downloaded a mp4 episode of Durarara (which as a lot text messaging between characters) I would only have English dubbed (because I prefer it) and most like wouldn't have any of said texts translated because mp4 only has 1 subtitle track.

Then if I download the same episode of Durarara in mkv I would have it both in English and Japanese language but I don't do Jap audio. Then I would have 2 subtitle track 1 for Signs and songs and One that would accompany the Japanese version so full subs through out. If a mistake was made on the original uploader end on the subtitles it can be easily fixed with a patch using xdelta scripts. But with a mp4 the entire episode would have to be removed then Re-uploaded with those fixes.

the same could also be said about movies have multiple audio tracks like English, French, Spanish and so on. With MKV you can change it at any time with the right Video player turn on what you want and turn off what of want.
Jason xXx, post: 1874, member: 3 Wrote:No problem.

I wondered the same thing years ago when I read a article about piracy groups switching from mp4 to MKV. At the time I didn't understand the importance of the switch. Until I did some looking around. The reason for the switch is fairly simple in a way. Why be stuck with a simple mp4 with a single audio track and hard-coded subs. When MKV can hold multiples of both audio and subtitle tracks.
Example If I downloaded a mp4 episode of Durarara (which as a lot text messaging between characters) I would only have English dubbed (because I prefer it) and most like wouldn't have any of said texts translated because mp4 only has 1 subtitle track.

Then if I download the same episode of Durarara in mkv I would have it both in English and Japanese language but I don't do Jap audio. Then I would have 2 subtitle track 1 for Signs and songs and One that would accompany the Japanese version so full subs through out. If a mistake was made on the original uploader end on the subtitles it can be easily fixed with a patch using xdelta scripts. But with a mp4 the entire episode would have to be removed then Re-uploaded with those fixes.

the same could also be said about movies have multiple audio tracks like English, French, Spanish and so on. With MKV you can change it at any time with the right Video player turn on what you want and turn off what of want.

Oh.
So MKV is an easy fix but i can understand that for content with multiple audio however why use it when the movie etc is in just a single language ??

Also isn't MKV more storage space.

And what about DivX????
Screw realism.
Screw being practical.
Screw representation.
Screw Woke/PC BS.

VSW, post: 2979, member: 24 Wrote:So MKV is an easy fix

Only if the person knows how to write scripts the fix said problems.

VSW, post: 2979, member: 24 Wrote:however why use it when the movie etc is in just a single language ??

That I don't know I can only speculate on.

Look at it this way why release 2 version of the same movie when you could release one that has 2 languages.

I read that mkv is the normal for HD movies while mp4 us for SD. They both looked the same to me I guess I don't have the eyes to see the HD then.

I guess release groups stick to strict guidelines. Back in April last year that's when they decide to switch to mkv. Some groups still do mp4 but people don't upload them. And torrents for me are out of the question.

[Image: mkvcontainer.png]

VSW, post: 2979, member: 24 Wrote:Also isn't MKV more storage space.

It all depends on how the movie is ripped or encoded. From the original source.

These days alot of people are looking to archive movies TV shows and anime. So thay want the best quality possible. And a single movie could be 25GB or more TV shows 3GB or more. Anime the largest I have seen for a episode is 5GB for a movie 28GB. You may be thinking that bad Just wait until HEVC or X265 become the normal.

Examples below
Movies
Spider-Man Homecoming 2017 2160p BluRay REMUX HEVC DTS-HD MA TrueHD 7.1 Atmos-FGT
Video:
Bit rate : 46.3 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Size: 57.1 GB

San Andreas 2015 2160p BluRay REMUX HEVC DTS-HD MA TrueHD 7.1 Atmos-FGT
Video:
Bit rate : 54.0 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Size: 58 GB

Batman v Superman 2016 EXTENDED 2160p UHD BluRay HDR HEVC Atmos TrueHD 7.1-HDRINVASION & REMUX-EPSiLON

Video:
Bit rate : 66.91 Mbps
Width : 3840 pixels
Height : 2160 pixels
Audio: English, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese
Format : ATMOS, DTS, DD
Bit rate : 5414 Kbps, 1 509 Kbps
Size: 86.2GB

TV Shows
S01.REPACK.1080p.DTS-HD.MA.5.1.AVC.REMUX [106.19 GB]
That is roughly 8 to 12GB a episode

Anime
TV show
[ANK&philosophy-raws][Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion R2][01][BDRIP][Hi10P FLAC][1920X1080].mkv (2.3 GiB)
[ANK&philosophy-raws][Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion R2][02][BDRIP][Hi10P FLAC][1920X1080].mkv (1.9 GiB)

anime movie
[REVO-deanzel] Princess Mononoke [BD 1080p Hi10p Multiaudio].mkv (24.4 GiB)
Jason xXx, post: 2981, member: 3 Wrote:Only if the person knows how to write scripts the fix said problems.

I understand that.

Jason xXx, post: 2981, member: 3 Wrote:That I don't know I can only speculate on.

Look at it this way why release 2 version of the same movie when you could release one that has 2 languages.

What i'm saying is IF a movie has only one language available.

Jason xXx, post: 2981, member: 3 Wrote:I read that mkv is the normal for HD movies while mp4 us for SD. They both looked the same to me I guess I don't have the eyes to see the HD then.

Hmmmm.
Well you understand resolution right lol.

[Image: 21FHNpF.jpg]
SD

[Image: LXI7Axe.jpg]
HD

HD is the sharper picture with a higher resolution.

PS3 video saves will list the resolution for each video.
Example 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 720 versus 720 x 480

If there's no soft smoothness to images, then it's HD.

OR
It could be the content not formatted for HD if it's on an HDTV & still looks slightly blurry.
Happens with certain movies.
Screw realism.
Screw being practical.
Screw representation.
Screw Woke/PC BS.

VSW, post: 2988, member: 24 Wrote:What i'm saying is IF a movie has only one language available.
Then again the major release groups upload to private trackers that have strict rules that must be followed to the letter and mp4 was tosses aside for mkv.

VSW, post: 2988, member: 24 Wrote:HD is the sharper picture with a higher resolution.
The other day I was fiddling around with a simple to the swaps mkvs to mp4 called MkvToMp4. I took a HD copy of Southland that was a mkv file and ran it through the tool and after I played the New mp4 file it looked exactly the same a the mkv.
So it all comes down to the original encode and not just a simple converter that we PSP uploaders use.
Jason xXx, post: 2993, member: 3 Wrote:Then again the major release groups upload to private trackers that have strict rules that must be followed to the letter and mp4 was tosses aside for mkv.

The other day I was fiddling around with a simple to the swaps mkvs to mp4 called MkvToMp4. I took a HD copy of Southland that was a mkv file and ran it through the tool and after I played the New mp4 file it looked exactly the same a the mkv.
So it all comes down to the original encode and not just a simple converter that we PSP uploaders use.

1. To hid an anti-piracy track right?
I remember Sony movies that were copied wouldn't play on Sony equipment.
Like ResidentEvil 2 or 3 or whatever would play on a PS3 etc but 15minutes in the audio would disappear.

2. Ohhhhh.
I think when PSP Uploaders convert movies into MP4 that anti-piracy original encode is removed, otherwise anything Sony wouldn't play on a PS3 or PSP.
Screw realism.
Screw being practical.
Screw representation.
Screw Woke/PC BS.

VSW, post: 3133, member: 24 Wrote:I remember Sony movies that were copied wouldn't play on Sony equipment.
Like ResidentEvil 2 or 3 or whatever would play on a PS3 etc but 15minutes in the audio would disappear.
That I don't know. It's hinted that it can remove it here and there but I remember last year some had a problem with a Sony movie.
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) ...
  • The Emoji Movie (2017) ...
  • The Dark Tower
Did any of those movies play without problems on your ps3?
Jason xXx, post: 3147, member: 3 Wrote:That I don't know. It's hinted that it can remove it here and there but I remember last year some had a problem with a Sony movie.
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) ...
  • The Emoji Movie (2017) ...
  • The Dark Tower
Did any of those movies play without problems on your ps3?
Yeah, Spiderman Homecoming & Dark Tower played fine, i didn't download the Emoji Movie.
Screw realism.
Screw being practical.
Screw representation.
Screw Woke/PC BS.